Behind The Scene: Meth and Sex
5 Things We Learned from Behind The Scene: Meth and Sex
MAX Ottawa and The Ottawa Hospital, in collaboration with Kontak Project and ACCM Montréal, hosted Daniel Laroche for our March edition. Daniel is the Kontak Program Coordinator at AIDS Community Care Montréal. He spoke about his personal and professional experience with chemsex and gave some health promotion and harm reduction strategies for guys into guys to use in their personal life.
1) Chemsex, PnP, and Party and Play are some common terms used by guys into guys that use drugs in a sexual context. These include methamphetamine (meth), mephedrone (meph), and GHB (G). These drugs can be taken in a variety of ways including smoking, rectally called a booty bump, snorting, and injecting.
2) Guys into guys report many reasons why they participate in chemsex. These can include:
3) There are cultural and environmental factors that affect GBT2Q guys choices to participate in PNP. Unique issues to our community include
These are a few factors that can make drug use more appealing. Bars and online dating and hook apps, like Grindr and Scruff, can normalize drug use and give guys increased access.
4) Despite the perceived benefits, there are risks to using these drugs.
5) Daniel provided some great harm reduction tips that included:
MAX Ottawa was grateful for Daniel’s honest, engaging, and informative talk. If you have health promotion, harm reduction, or general support needs around chemsex, contact MAX.